This document is a work-in-progress; it will never be complete nor 100% accurate.
My home journey started back in 2009 with a ReadyNAS and my home automation journey started in 2013 with Arduino Nanos. I have lots of experience, but will never consider myself an expert. There is always something to learn about!
- UniFi Security Gateway
- UniFi AC-PRO
- (3) UniFi 8-port POE Switches
- (1) Xeon E3 1250v2, AMD64, NixOS 20.09
- (2) Hikvision Cubes
- (3) XiaoFang cameras running FangHacks
- Linear HUSBZB1 - ZWave and Zigbee Stick
- Dome Water Shutoff Valve (ZWave)
- (7) SmartThings Water Leak Sensors (Zigbee)
- (3) GE Switches & Dimmer Switches (ZWave)
- (5) Ikea TRÅDFRI Bulbs (Zigbee)
- (4) Ikea TRÅDFRI Smart Buttons (Zigbee)
- Docker - it’s what all the cool kids are using, and really does make my server maintenance easier. I jump around between a single host running Docker, to a mult-architecture (x86 and arm64) cluster, to a single host Docker Swarm. It’s fun to experiment.
- Traefik - a http load balancer, obtains certificates (both external and internal) from Let’s Encrypt, managed via labels within the stack definition.
- DNSCrypt Proxy - DNS over HTTPS; all outgoing udp-based dns traffic is blocked at the Unifi Security Gateway.
- Wireguard - a secure connection into my home network.
- Mosquitto - a publish-subscribe-based messaging protocol; this runs most of my IoT infrastructure.
- Home Assistant - a home automation software hub; anything not integrated via MQTT is integrated via Home Assistant.
- Grafana - a data-visualization tool; draws pretty charts and graphs from the data within Influx
- Node-Red - a flow-based, automation tool; creates complex automations for Home Assistant. Home Assistant does have a yaml-based automation system (which works just fine, despite what Node-Red propoents say) it’s just a lot more fun to visualize and debug automations in Node-Red.
- MySensors - a sensor framework for many different micro-controllers; I use it for many of my battery powered, custom IoT devices like my soil moisture sensor, and door sensors.
- ESPHome - a sensor framework for ESP8266 and ESP32 micro-controllers; I use it for most of my other custom IoT devices like my thermostat actuator, garage door actuator, fireplace actuator, etc.
- litterrobot2mqtt - a Litter Robot API to mqtt bridge process.
- mysensorsbootloader2mqtt - a mysensors bootloader to mqtt bridge process.
- seattlewaste2mqtt - a seattle waste collection schedule to mqtt bridge process.
- unifi2mqtt - a Unifi Controller device status to mqtt bridge process.
- wsdot2mqtt - a wsdot travel times to mqtt bridge process.
- zillow2mqtt - a zillow zestimate to mqtt bridge process.
- InfluxDB - a time-series datastore; Home Assistant publishes sensor changes into Influx
- PostgreSQL - a relational database that houses data for Miniflux and Home Assistant.